April 5, 2010

Looking for Home by Donald Anderson

I heard a clink outside the window,
collars of two lost tan colored dogs, expensive looking,
out at 3:20am in the morning.
Seeing me open my door, they walk inside
my humble apartment, searching, inquisitive.
I am not allowed pets.
No one is reachable at this hour.
I try to read the tag on one collar,
the dog refused to stay still and puts its
wet paws on my arms.
I think, what if they’re starving?
I give them slices of deli turkey.
They eat in seconds,
I walk out the door,
they follow,
then mark territory on the bushes.
I close the door,
then the window,
then go on my phone’s limited internet
searching for lost and found in this town.
I find a site that has an email address,
then email them the info.
I wonder if they will scratch at the door.
Sleep at last.
Then 11am, wake to call animal control.
Ask if they know of any lost dogs of that kind reported.
They say none have been,
though I doubt my limited description effective enough.
They thank me for the report,
before I’ve said all I can think of.
I look for them each evening now,
thinking if they will remember the food.
If they found their home.
If they found their owners.     


Poet Donald R. Anderson has had poetry published in ¡Zam Bomba!, Blue Moon Press, Rattlesnake Press, Artifact (before becoming co-editor), The Collegian, A Poem a Day: An Anthology (Edited by Chantel C. Guidry), Dwarf Stars 2008, upcoming publication in Poetry Now, and Manzanita (2010), published online on Medusa's Kitchen, Poet's Corner Press, and Farmhouse Magazine and a small award in the annual contest by the Stockton Arts Commission for “Suddenly a Fearsome Crow.” 

No comments: